- Wax and urethane create the look of “gloss” and shine – but this can damage the floor in the long run. Oil finish, however, restores the floor, keeps it looking new and “natural,” and is easy to help maintain the floor!
- This is a common European trend, so there’s a lot of advice out there about how to maintain & clean these floors.
- Because a matte finish is currently in style, the oil finish helps maintain that look.
So, how do you maintain your oil finish hardwood floors, if you have them?
- Let the floor “age” evenly. Periodically move your carpets, furniture, and lamps around to let the floor get wear and tear all around, as opposed to patches of “age.”
- Pass a dry dust mop on the floor daily to make sure debris and sediment doesn’t get into the floors.
- If you must mop the floor, use a damp mop and a light soap solution. Do not use ammonia, bleach, furniture polish, or Murphy’s Oil Soap.
- Do not use tape or any other adhesive on your hardwood floor.
- If you must vacuum the floor, make sure you use a vacuum that doesn’t have wheels on the canister – the wheels will scratch the floor.
Here at Bixby Floors, we’re proud to be hardwood flooring experts, and we’re also happy to help you with your oil finished hardwood floors. If you’re interested in finding out more information, contact us today to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. Let’s see what we can do for you!