They say that if you can remember the 1970’s or the 1980’s, it’s because you weren’t there. Even if our memories of the time are a little faded (due in part to old age, and due in part to questionable diversions), we definitely remember some of these design disasters from back in the day...and not for all the right reasons, either!
• Pastel Colors: because nothing goes better with your British Knights hi-tops & your Z. Cavaricci jeans than a pastel wall!
• Monograms: the most popular monogram was, of course, the boitonne (which is when you combine the letters of your name with your spouse’s to create a unique symbol). This is great for the guest room towels, but it’s a little much when it’s emblazoned on your bed’s headboard.
• Nautical Décor: unless you live on, or by, the beach, this is unforgivable. You’re not invoking the islands with puka shells there, Ras Tafari.
• Mixed Metals: different shades of gold, silver, & bronze in a room doesn’t make you look rich or elegant...it makes you look gaudy, tacky, and cheap.
• Chalkboards: this isn’t a classroom, this is a kitchen...and your chalkboard is getting chalk dust in the chicken tetrazzini. No bueno.
• Carpeting in the Bathroom: seriously...who thought this was a good idea? Lots of moisture & heat, plus a virtual moisture sponge, equals mold. And nothing says “relaxing” like black mold toxicity, amirite?
Of course, this is just a short list of some of the most controversial (read: worst) design trends of all time. What are some of the DIY disasters you remember from back in the day? Leave your memories in
the comments below...if you dare!