Hardwood floors are definitely popular for homeowners, and there’s a special kind of hardwood floors that’s currently making its way up the trending ladder: oil finished hardwood floors!
So, why should you use an oil finish on your hardwood floor? Here’s a list of benefits:
- Wax and urethane create the look of “gloss” and shine – but this can damage the floor in the long run. Oil finish, however, restores the floor, keeps it looking new and “natural,” and is easy to help maintain the floor!
- This is a common European trend, so there’s a lot of advice out there about how to maintain & clean these floors.
- Because a matte finish is currently in style, the oil finish helps maintain that look.
So, how do you maintain your oil finish hardwood floors, if you have them?
- Let the floor “age” evenly. Periodically move your carpets, furniture, and lamps around to let the floor get wear and tear all around, as opposed to patches of “age.”
- Pass a dry dust mop on the floor daily to make sure debris and sediment doesn’t get into the floors.
- If you must mop the floor, use a damp mop and a light soap solution. Do not use ammonia, bleach, furniture polish, or Murphy’s Oil Soap.
- Do not use tape or any other adhesive on your hardwood floor.
- If you must vacuum the floor, make sure you use a vacuum that doesn’t have wheels on the canister – the wheels will scratch the floor.