- Replace all of your incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs – not only do they last longer, they give off less energy, and can reduce your bill by as much as 40%!
- Get rid of all of the torchere (lamp) style halogen bulbs – not only do they consume extensive amounts of energy, but they heat the home up by almost 1000 degrees!
- Does your home need a bit more shade? Consider planting trees, appropriately, around the perimeter of the home!
- No need to be concerned about the lack of central air – install more ceiling fans if you need that extra cool kick.
- There’s no need to leave the air conditioner on when there’s no one in the house. Lower your thermostat before you leave the house (you don’t have to turn it off completely, if you have a pet – you just need to make it a little warmer).
- Don’t put your clothes in the dryer for too long – it wastes energy, causes your clothes to get static, and puts unnecessary wear and tear on your wardrobe.
- Copper bottomed pots and pans heat quicker on the stove than non-copper bottomed pots and pans.
- Unplug all of your appliances after using them – don’t keep them plugged in, regardless of whether you keep them on or not.
- Always wash your clothes with cold water – it works just as well as hot water, and cuts your energy bills by 40%.
- Finally, make sure your pipes are all sealed. Even the smallest of leaks can drive your water bill up by as much as 50%.
How to Cut Home Energy Costs
Let’s say your electric bill has just arrived, and it’s nothing short of a second mortgage payment. What do you do to reduce the costs? Here’s our list of tips and tricks to cutting your energy costs! (You’ll be doing some good for the environment, too – not just your bank account!)